Friday, August 28, 2009

By Dale Carnegie
  • Under the subheading "15,000,000 people can't be wrong," I proudly present one of the all-time business book classics. You've probably heard about this book, as it's one of those titles that have become part of the cultural lexicon (like CATCH-22). It floats around the edges of the pop-culture ether, easily recalled but little read.

    But this is no infomercial for real estate investment with no money down or for a personal improvement guru. This book was designed with professionals in mind, and designed to help professional people do better in business by helping them make social contacts and improve their speaking skills. It was also written with a certain...earnestness in mind. Carnegie was a big believer in sincerity when it came to dealing with other people.

    The core of the book accomplishes four, overarching objectives:

    * THREE FUNDAMENTAL TECHNIQUES IN HANDLING PEOPLE

    * THE SIX WAYS TO MAKE PEOPLE LIKE YOU

    * THE TWELVE WAYS TO WIN PEOPLE TO YOUR WAY OF THINKING

    * THE NINE WAYS TO CHANGE PEOPLE WITHOUT AROUSING RESENTMENT

    Thoroughly entertaining by using fun and interesting examples, I don't think many readers will regret checking this one out and I like to think of this book as a kind of Human Relations 101 of sorts.

    Another related book that I recommend strongly because it's outstanding and a modernized approach to people skills is Emotional Intelligence 2.0
  • I think the title of this book may be misleading in that just about everyone can get along with people, and win friends. The part of the title that most people was is the abaility to influence others especially in a way that makes them happy and willing to do what you ask.

    As a supervisor for a department of 50 people, I found it was easy to get people to do what I asked them becuase I was the boss. After reading How To Win Friends and Influence People, I was able to get people to do what I asked not because I was there supervisor, because they wanted to.

    In addition, I have always found that there are always some people (many times my supervisors) who completely lack people skills. Dale Carnegies book taugh me how to work with those people as well.

    I highly recommend How To Win Friends and Influence People to anyone who wants to significantly improve their people skills and especially their ability to positively influence people.

    Great book!

No comments:

Post a Comment